Monday, June 2, 2008


I hope everyone had a good weekend. If you are in the South like I am, you probably had a very hot weekend. I wanted warmer temperatures so I could wear cute summer clothes, but wow. I don't know if I was ready for 90 degree temps.

So, we are making progress. I have scheduled appointments for Husband's labs and SA as well as our nurse education class and psych eval. We met with a new doctor at our clinic last October, but it seems that he doesn't work out of the local office anymore, so I decided it would be a good idea to meet meet with the main doctor in order to go over my protocol and at least say, "hi," so that appointment is made as well. I've asked my surrogate to make her appointments as well, and I'm waiting for the clinic's billing department to call me back so I can set up billing info for our surrogate's testing.

Day 3 happened to be on Saturday, so I made my way to the clinic bright and early and was there at 7:45 am. I had my blood drawn for E2/FSH as well as the IVF labs by 8:30, but I insisted on an u/s because I wanted to check out what was going on with my ovaries--specifically my endometrioma--and I'd rather know the situation now before we start cycling than discover something heinous after I've already had a few injections and have to cancel the cycle. So I marched back out to the waiting room and sat and waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. They were really busy that day, so I thought that maybe they made me last. Finally, at 11:30 when the last cycling patient had been seen, I asked if I were still going to have an u/s. Funny how they got me back so quickly. It may be silly, but I was determined not to leave. Yes, I was there for 4.5 hours, but I wanted that u/s. And I think I'm finally at the point in my treatment history where I'm going to make sure I get what I want. And I wanted an u/s.

As for the u/s itself, it revealed that my old friend Fred the Endometrioma is still hale and hearty at 26mm. He would make an excellent follie. The somewhat surprising news is that my right ovary also has 7 cysts. I guess normal cysts...not endometriomas. How can I have cysts when I have been on BCPs since October? I've even had a few months where I've done back-to-back BCPs. Huh? The nurse thinks they'll resolve, but ugh. Maybe they explain what that pinchy/pulling pain on my right side has been. Luckily, my left ovary is perfectly clear. It better be ready to pull its weight and then some.

It felt a little weird to be back in a clinic's waiting room for a monitoring appointment again. It's been almost a year since I've been in that place. It was a familiar feeling, though, even though it was a new waiting room.

I sent the 3rd draft of the contract to our surro, and she had a question about the compensation schedule that we are working out. Hopefully we will get that settled today and then we can have the attorney update the contract, and we will be ready to sign and notarize!!!

Husband asked his mom if it was ok with her to have her listed as the person designated to take custody of the baby if we both were to die while the surro is pg. Her response was an enthusiastic, "I'd love to!" before she quickly qualified that by saying that she of course doesn't want us to die. LOL. I'm glad that MIL is happy to have the responsibility if necessary.

And I'm still slightly panicked by all the stuff we need to do. I'm a process-oriented person, so I need to just let go and breathe.


Samantha said...

I remember having some REALLY long waits too. One I waited for forever for an ultrasound, only to be told I didn't need one that day. Fortunately, those were exceptions.

Good luck starting this, and try to breathe deeply!

Mrs.X said...

Progress is good - especially the progress you have reported. That totally sucks about waiting 4.5 hours for an u/s but good for you for sticking to your guns. If you want an u/s, you get one!

My only words of wisdom are to try to sit back and enjoy some peace each day. That should help to ground you for all of the craziness that is involved. Good luck!

Sue said...

You've got stamina waiting that long for an ultrasound! It's exciting to read things are moving along and you're getting closer to cycling with your surrogate.

scarredbellybutton said...

Glad you got the u/s you wanted, even if it came with a ridiculous wait.

Yay for your contract nearly being done!

Are you on the MA or UU Yahoo group? A few girls there are doing/have done the GS process.

kate said...

Woohoo for progress! Man, your ducks really are waddling right into a row, aren't they? And good for tenacious you! Get what you want, girl!

And yes. Even though we didn't break 90 this past weekend, it was hella hot 'cos the humidity was so high. It threatened to storm all weekend, but just stayed irritatingly muggy instead. Ick. At least it's finally raining now...