Friday, August 3, 2007

My Problems

The cause of our infertility is primarily (like 99%) my problems. The main problem is a unicornuate uterus. This means that I have only half of a functioning uterus. The left side did not develop. Hence the "unicorn" of the title. It's supposedly a very, very rare uterine defect, which sort of adds to my self-centered, narcissistic feeling of being picked on by the universe. I have two kidneys, two ovaries and two tubes (all things that people with UUs can be missing), so it's only the left part of the uterus that didn't develop.

I also have a lovely case of stage 4 endometriosis. Thanks to it, my right tube was hopelessly damaged and had to be cauterized. It also leads to endometriomas on my right ovary and I suspect the post-menstrual and pre-menstrual spotting I have. Though I haven't had all the tests for PCOS, I did have my testosterone tested, and it came back slightly elevated, so that combined with my hair issues, ovulatory dysfunction and a few other things makes me wonder if I also have PCOS.

Because I'm paranoid and generally a pessimist (I prefer realist) - even before we knew about our IF problems, I'm sure I have immune problems as well. Why not?

So far we have completed (and failed) 1 IVF and 1 FET. I don't have any embryos left, so it's on to another IVF in the fall probably.

No comments: