Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Almost Done!

Today and tomorrow are my final days of work, but in usual fashion, my to-do list seems to grow longer every hour.

I haven't been sleeping well lately. I let AF come after two straight cycles on BCPs, and even though it was a very light one, I had a lot of side and back pain that kept me up for a few nights. Thank you, endo! I thought it was over and then this morning I woke up at 3:30 am with horrible back pain. Two advil did nothing for it. A Tylenol 3 helped a tiny bit but not much. I'm no stranger to pain because of endo, but this back pain seemed different...it seemed a little higher than my normal back pain. I was beginning to worry about kidney stones and other fun things like that, and I got up at 4:30 b/c why not? I can't sleep; I might as well get up. So here I am at work a little after 7. And I'm SO tired. Thankfully the pain seems to have lessened quite a bit. I am beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with my endometrioma. Did it rupture? I swear, it's always something with my body lately. If the pain returns, I plan on going to the doctor and begging to see someone. I don't know if there is anything they can do, but I want to rule out non-kidney issues. Of course this has to happen just before I go on vacation. Isn't that always how it works?

Christmas cards are done and mailed. We need to wrap gifts and finish decorating. We have been such decorating slackers this month. I'm baking goodies for my coworkers and need to figure out something chocolate to add to their bags. Maybe fudge? That's quick and easy.

We received a Christmas card from J and J, our friends with a 10-month-old. I was wondering if we would receive any acknowledgement from them since they didn't acknowledge our birthdays or initiate contact. It, of course, was a picture of their baby. Husband was a bit hurt b/c it wasn't personalized at all. I tried to explain that I doubted they were trying to make a point and that that's how those kid cards usually are. Because I tend to dwell and overthink things, I do wonder what their card means. Are they thawing towards us? Were we just on their list and the card doesn't mean anything? Are they being slightly passive aggressive by sending us a picture of their baby? I'd like to think that the card means they are thinking about us and not that we were just names on a list, but who knows with them.

And speaking of the kid cards...I am really growing to hate them. One reason is obvious, but I have another: I think I object to how unoriginal they are. They all look the same and are so impersonal. I like to think that one day when we have kids, we will make interesting cards with our family on them. I want our cards to be special. I could help but think about the kid cards we have received while I was doing our cards. I wrote messages in 26 cards...gee, after all, I don't have a cute baby to use, so I guess I have the time to go to the effort of actually writing a message and signing the cards. Not looking for a medal just a tad bit bitter :-)

Oh, I received an H for the semester in my grad school class. It's the equivalent of A. Yay! The professor wasn't the greatest teacher, but she is very smart and knows her subject, and she gave me some really good feedback on my papers.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Congrats on your H!

Some years I've been better with Christmas cards, this year, not so much. I made sure I sent everyone a card, but the personalizations weren't there. Still, I was thinking of everyone, I just couldn't think of what to say. Maybe your friends just weren't sure of what to say.

Anonymous said...

I think your friends were probably taking the easy way out. On none of the photo cards I've received this year have the senders actually written a note. I'm a little grudging of parents who just send out a giant picture of their kid in a Santa hat with a preprinted message.

Cards I like: Actual notecards with a small picture inside, or photos that show the parents as well as the kids.